Sunday, November 1, 2009

NaNoWriMo calls

November is National Novel Writing Month. People from around the world hunker down and go into a frenzy of novel writing in November, with the aim of getting 50,000 words down on paper (or on screen) -- draft quality, of course. I participated in 2007 (when I had a leave from work), then kind of half participated in 2008. This year, I had sadly concluded that I am just way too busy with work to sign up. Missed deadlines! Travel for meetings! Looming obligations! Signing up will just be an exercise in frustration, I told myself.

But this morning, I awoke, and it was November 1. How could I not sign up? It was the first day of NaNoWriMo, and it was a Sunday! So I did register, but I am not going to push myself to pump out 50,000 words. All I really wanna do is finish a first draft of the novel I started in Nano 2007. I know myself, and the structure and camaraderie of Nano help me to sit down and write. I figure that some writing is better than no writing. My starting count is 95,008.

1 comment: