Friday, July 21, 2017

One Last Pie

Suddenly, the days are going by so quickly. In only two more days, the movers will be here. We have been labouring at packing up all of our belongings. The movers will pack the fragile items, art, and electronics. We are packing all the rest. It is physically exhausting.

Yesterday, I finished packing up my office at my workplace and walked away from it for the last time. Rob came with the pickup truck and handcart and loaded up 21 extremely heavy boxes of books and papers. They are banker's boxes, much smaller than the boxes I used when I moved into this office one year ago. I figure that with all the books that I have given away, and all the files full of paper that have gone to recycling, I am keeping only about one third of what was in my office. Still, 21 full boxes -- that's a lot to move.

This month we have experienced many "lasts." The last sushi meal at our favourite Japanese restaurant. The last haircut with my wonderful stylist. The last painting session with my painting buddies at the community art studio. The last pie.

A Raspberry Pie -- It Was Delicious!

A few years ago, I tore out one of the decorative garden beds in our backyard, and planted some raspberry canes, strawberries, and rhubarb. It took them awhile to get established, and this year the raspberry canes are heavy with fruit. So earlier this week, I picked raspberries and baked a raspberry pie. It seems I have finally figured out how to adjust my pie crust recipe for this dry climate; the pie was really good. But now we are off to the coast to move to our new home which has lovely gardens but no raspberry canes or vegetable beds. So we had to have one last pie!

Rather than moving all of our furniture, we donated some of it to a local charitable organization. On Tuesday, two fellows came by with a truck and took away our couch, loveseat, a table, some bookshelves, and so on. However, they took one look at my old oak office desk and declined to take it. They said that no one wants big old oak desks anymore, even for free.

I bought the desk from an office surplus store for next to nothing, and have had it for more than 20 years. However, I had decided that it would not be coming with me to Vancouver Island. The desk was too heavy for Rob and me to move out of the den. So Rob dismantled it, and I am sad to say, cut it up with his circular saw and took it to the dump. He was kind enough to wait until I left the house, because he knew how upset I was about it. The photo below shows my last glimpse of my desk.

Rob Dismantles the Desk

Something we have really liked about living here are all the wonderful hikes and walks in the area. I already have written about our last hike at Waterton Lakes National Park. We have discovered many camping and hiking areas on the eastern slope of the Rockies. Police Outpost Provincial Park is another favourite. Our last day of skiing at West Castle Mountain in March was the best powder ski day we have experienced at that ski hill in all our years skiing there. We were having so much fun skiing that we forgot to take pictures!

One of the things we have loved about our home is that is located right on the edge of the river valley. There are a number of trails nearby that we can access into the coulees and they go for miles.


One of my Last Coulee Rambles with Kate

Last Walk Down to the River with Rob

It has been interesting exploring the small towns scattered across the prairies. The autumn that I had a broken foot, we did a lot of touring by car. Some of the towns are quaint, some shabby or desolate, and some are insular and smug. One little town that we like a lot is Nanton, and also the Coutts Centre near it.

Last Visit to Coutts Centre

It has been an interesting five years. We won't miss some things about the place, such as the terrible drivers, the overt racism, and the extreme conservatism. We are eager to move back to BC, and we love our new house, and its location by the ocean. Now we just have to make it through the move itself.

8 comments:

  1. It sounds as if you are making a good ending, Jude - attending to and celebrating all of the lasts so that you can notice and appreciate the upcoming firsts. I'll be thinking of you through the move. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen. Moves are always bittersweet, I find. One makes a home and a life wherever one is. However, on the whole, we have not found this city very sympatico, and we are really looking forward to returning to our home province. But moving itself is so exhausting, both physically and emotionally.

      Jude

      Delete
  2. It's funny how you look forward to something for so long, then, when it comes, it seems to happen in a flash. Good luck on your move and your transition to your new adventure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janis, that is so true. We tend to think of time as being linear, and yet it is actually quite convoluted. Today I am packing up the kitchen, and it is such a hot day!

      Jude

      Delete
  3. Oh, the stress of moving! But so much to look forward to. New places to explore, restaurants to try, friends to meet. Wishing you well on this next journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is such a stressful process. And so much work! One thing about all of the physically hard work of moving is that it helps with the psychological process of wrapping up and letting go of this place, which clears the way for the new home and life experiences to come. Thanks for your good wishes, Carole.

      Jude

      Delete
  4. Welcome to Vancouver Island, Jude. I hope that you continue to bake fabulous pies here...and share them with your friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Donna, I will bake pies on Vancouver Island. Even though I don't have fruit trees or berry bushes in my garden, there are all those amazing blackberries to pick and make into pies and jam. And the grocery stores have much nicer produce than here. When you are back from your travels, you and Richard will definitely have to come over and see our new place and eat some pie!

      Jude

      Delete