Monday, September 23, 2019

Project X Ate My Brain

Project X ate my brain, err, rather, it is still in the process of eating my brain because it is still in progress.

Project X

I am deep into an academic writing project that I have dubbed "Project X." It has totally taken over my thoughts and my time.

In it, I am pulling together disparate threads of ideas that come from my lived experience during my 25-year career in higher education, my research focus over the last few years on ethics in research and researchers' public responsibility, and my recent immersion in learning about global warming and the climate emergency. My voracious reading for the project has taken me into new (to me) research fields, such as corporate social responsibility, and back to rereading and thinking about ideas from the ancient history of my intellectual development, such as John Dewey's writings on democracy and education, and Karl Marx's concepts of capitalism and surplus value.

I am trying to craft an coherent and compelling argument that knits several disparate ideas together.

I have written more than the requested number of pages, but am still refining the argument. The task that faces me in the hours and days ahead is to read, read, read; write, write, write; and then cut, cut, cut. Project X is overdue, and I have nobody to blame but myself and my own procrastination. But, my goodness, is it ever a fascinating ride!

So, I know I promised a blog post on my excellent summer vacation. But I have to defer that post for now, and so many other things until Project X is all wrapped up and delivered with a bow.

Some of the things that have been put off to the side are: my daily exercise, revising my novel, working on the prequel novel, my art, reading and writing blogs, any new time commitments (I am still trying to keep commitments that I previously made, although some of those are going to be late, too). I sure do hate saying "no" to new fun things.

But lest you are tempted to feel sorry for me, thinking that my life hasn't been very fun lately, I have to put you straight right now. For me, academic research and writing is fun (if unremunerated).

As well, there have been a number of very fun events in my life in September, all planned and committed to many months ago when I still optimistically believed that I would have been finished with Project X by now. 

Birthday Bash

We hosted a big birthday bash at our place to celebrate Rob's and my September birthdays. Friends and family came to the party from far and wide. We had a band!

Dancing to Beatlemania Tunes

133 Years of Wisdom


















 Friends and Family Come to Visit

We had a wonderful time visiting with friends and family, some of whom travelled 1,000s of kilometers to celebrate with us. We also enjoyed some excellent grandkid time.




























Blogger Meet-Up

I also had the chance this weekend to participate in another blogger meetup! This time I got to spend time with Natalie from Natalie the Explorer, Donna from Retirement Reflections, and Ann from The Unretired.Life.

Natalie, me, Donna, Ann
We ate, drank, walked in the rain, and generally made merry.
A Lovely Rainy Day
Oops, I think I am procrastinating again.

27 comments:

  1. Looks like fun! Happy birthday Jude and Hubs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb! I’m sorry that once again I am going to miss out on meeting you when you come to the Island.

      Jude

      Delete
  2. So what you're saying is that despite being hard at work on your academic project you're equally hard at work on having some fun! Balance is everything

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ally, I think I am wearing myself out with all the hard work/big fun. It doesn’t leave very much laying-on-the-couch time.

      Jude

      Delete
  3. It sounds to me that what you are doing is fascinating. Ride the passion on this one. Other stories will follow in due course 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne, it is fascinating, and it really has got my synapses firing. And, yay, your comment came through!

      Jude

      Delete
  4. Hi, Jude - Project X sounds fascinating! I know that it will benefit greatly from your expertise, your passion, and the time that you have taken to mull it over. I can also attest that your birthday bash was seriously one of the best parties ever! Thank you for sneaking away from Project X one more time to join our recent bloggers' get-together. It was wonderful to catch-up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna, it was really nice to take a morning away from hunching over the computer for some time with blogging friends.

      Jude

      Delete
  5. It sounds as though you are in your element! Best of luck in getting Project X over the finishing line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annabel, I guess you’re right. This academic writer/thinking person is me just as much as the walk-in-the-rain person and the blogger person is me. I can’t retire from that.

      Jude

      Delete
    2. Sorry, autocorrect mangled your name.

      Delete
  6. Project X sounds fascinating and I would delay the gratitude of hearing about your excellent vacation to learn more about it. I do hope you plan to share. There is nothing quite like a stimulating project to round out the fullness of an already full life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzanne, thanks for commenting. Hmmm, I have spent so many years living a double life — the academic one and the personal one. Am I ready to allow the two of them to start to converge? Mentioning this project as I have here is a first little step in that direction.

      Jude

      Delete
  7. It's important to balance the Project Xs in your life with the Project Fs (for FUN!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janis. Somehow it doesn’t feel like balance, but more like the extremes of a pendulum swinging.

      Jude

      Delete
  8. I'm so curious about Project X...
    Loved the blogger meet up, am always so envious of these. MUST make it to Vancouver to meet all of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. Yes, I’m finding Project X pretty interesting. Re: Blogger meetups - a great way to meet other bloggers is to host one!

      Jude

      Delete
  9. Hi Jude! It sounds to me like you are doing EXACTLY what you should be doing! If I've learned anything at this age it is that we should follow our hearts...not our shoulds! AND it looks to me like you are throwing in some fun as well. While we can't do "everything" we can do somethings! There will be plenty of time for the rest of it...oh, but daily exercise is pretty important ;-) ~Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But Kathy, can’t I do ALL the things ALL of the time? And yes, my joints are telling me that I need to get outside and move.

      Jude

      Delete
  10. Hi Jude: It was lovely meeting you in-person. Thank you for taking time away from Project X to meet up with me in Parksville. I look forward to reading more about it but I hope you get in some rest and relaxation too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Natalie. I’m really glad we spent a morning together showing you around this part of Vancouver Island. I hope you had a lovely visit in Tofino!

      Jude

      Delete
  11. Alright - congrats on Project X! It might not be finished, but I feel it will make a difference, for you and others. And, it’s something you’ve been passionate of and fascinated by, so all good. I think you’re “procrastinating”, because you can’t get enough of learning about the topic(s)! :-)

    So, while all that academic involvement is fun, it’s also nice to read about all your other fun, birthdays and meet-ups. Happy belated birthday, Jude and Rob. And, so nice you had another blogger meet-up. While I was in Toronto a few months ago, I unfortunately didn’t manage to meet Natalie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liesbet. I am happy to report that I have finished Project X. . . but I can’t stop thinking about it. However, finishing it means I can finally get back to working on my novels again, and also get back to my regular exercise schedule. And yes, fun is also good.

      Jude

      Delete
  12. Just the post title, Project X is intriguing:) After reading your post, I see why the title. A very important subject on many levels, Jude. My opinion from the cheap seats: The concept of “sharing” continues to appear in my radar this year. You have a great deal of experience and knowledge you have amassed over decades. Many people would appreciate learning from you. I cannot imagine the busyness of your life with all the roles you juggle.

    On a personal note, I am sorry I missed the meet up including Natalie. We were on our camping trip Long Beach (awesome time there). We had a great time at the Birthday Bash. My husband went on and on how it was the first party he has been to with a live band. An awesome band! We don’t/rarely dance and we couldn’t help but get up and join in. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erica. We were so glad that you and Chuck came to our birthday bash. It was really fun to have so many friends and family here to celebrate with us. Wasn’t the band awesome?

      As for Long Beach, I camped there nearly forty years ago but that was the only time. It is on our list to do sometime soon (although I’ve heard that you have to reserve a site months in advance). What a wonderful tradition your family has of going there every year.

      Jude

      Delete
  13. Hi again, Jude, The tradition is really only Chuck and myself, a treat, since we are around loving family and friends all year:) Greenpoint Campground sites (Federal campground/no Provincial campgrounds in Pacific Rim) become available to reserve beginning of January. All sites are reserved within minutes. There may be cancellations throughout the year. The area is gorgeous and worth thinking about. I did a mini summary post last week of our Fall camping trip if you are curious and have the time. You are an exceptionally busy lady Jude:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Daughter’s family camped there twice this summer - once in a site they reserved in January, and once on a cancellation. They loved it!

      Jude

      Delete