Sunday, January 19, 2020

Why It's Worth It

A Beautiful World and I'm Grateful to be Here
I think everyone asks themselves this question from time to time. "Why is it worth it?"

The question can take on a different shape depending on circumstances. It can mean: why is it worth persisting with this hard thing I'm trying to do when at the moment it seems so unrewarding and difficult or even hopeless, and nobody seems to appreciate it? This version of the question is about taking on challenges that help us grow, help others, and help make the earth a better place. It takes commitment to persist with an intention or goal when we find ourselves seemingly inadequate for the task, the way forward isn't clear, or when others obstruct our efforts or fail to acknowledge us.

Or it can mean: Why is life worth it? Am I really here on this earth just to shop, pick up dog poop, fill out this form, and drink beer in front of the TV? In this incarnation, the question really is about the deep inner sense of one's existential purpose. Depression, illness, or discouragement sometimes might be a cue to examine inner needs that have been ignored and repressed. Existential purpose is hard to nail down and it seems to easily get derailed. We find ourselves using our time up instead on trivial matters, comfortable routines, or self-gratification. Or, perhaps some of us fill our time up with busyness and daily obligations as a way of running from an examination of the inner self and life purpose.

Or "why is it worth it" can mean: What's in it for me? On the surface, this appears to be a selfish concern, a desire to put oneself first, rather than thinking about others or broader life goals. Often, a person's answer to this question never goes beyond the level of personal material reward -- the paycheque, the ego stroke, the better fitness score, or the tit for tat exchange.  But, underneath, everything starts right here, right now, with the person you are inside. All important work a person does has to start internally, by recognizing and accepting the person you are, and checking in to make sure that your external efforts align with your core values. I'm coming to learn that when I run away from my inner self, then my commitments, efforts, and daily pursuits may become unsatisfying or even harmful.  

Lately I have been writing quite a bit about the climate crisis, and how it has motivated me to take various actions.

Although I cannot put into words what my core life purpose is, one part of it is the desire to make a positive difference in the world. Putting personal effort into educating myself about climate change, communicating about it to increase others' awareness, and taking personal actions to reduce my carbon footprint, all help, in a small way, to make a positive difference in the world.

It's worth if because of my beautiful children and grandchildren, and the future generations who will inherit the earth. I've written about this here, and here.

It's also worth it because the earth, its systems, and the living plants and animals are beautiful, amazing, and inherently worth preserving. Here are a few photos of the area where I live that I've taken over the last three months. They show the beauty of our world.

An October Afternoon in My Neighbourhood
Sunshine on the Pond
Snow Encrusted Trees at Mount Washington
Mount Washington at Four O'clock

Rock on the Forest Floor
Tiny Mushrooms in the Moss



















The Backyard With a Foot of Snow
We live in an amazing world, and I'm grateful to be a part of it. It's worth it.

16 comments:

  1. Hi Jude - I agree with you that we live in an amazing world and I'm also grateful to be a part of it. You're making a positive difference in the world by sharing what you know and doing what you can to sustain our environment. I'm doing what I can where I live, too. When I walk outdoors and see a red cardinal on top of a tree, mallards in a cold lake, a rare white squirrel, fresh snow on pine brnaches, etc, I know it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Natalie. I always enjoy your photos of nature in your home city and in all of the amazing places that you travel to. What an amazing world!

      Jude

      Delete
  2. Hi Jude! You are so right. We all need purpose and meaning in our lives and if we stuff that or deny it, then it will persist in odd ways like depression or addiction. Good for you for recognizing what you "calling" is and doing what you feel guided to do. Oh, and your photos are GORGEOUS! ~Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy. As a pragmatic, action oriented person, it doesn’t come naturally to me to “look inside.” I find yoga very helpful for that. Also, I’ve been giving meditation another try. So far so good. Choosing to retire when I did was in part because I recognized a serious mismatch between my workplace I was doing and my core values.

      Jude

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous photos. Can't wait to see some of these sights in person!!!
    Excellent post, Jude. Thank you.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb! I love the beauty of the Island, and I’m looking forward to meeting you once you’re here.

      Jude

      Delete
  4. It’s a wonderful world! And I’m here to explore, appreciate, and respect it fully, while inspiring others to do so as well. :-)

    “Purpose” is my word of the year, although I have no idea yet how to “fill that in”. It’s just been a thought and a word that keeps coming back these last weeks. I really love that photo of the snow-encrusted trees! That’s a lot of sticky white on them.

    Great post, Jude! I often feel like I’m in your head (or you’re in mine) when reading these blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, Liesbet, that is such a nice thing to say. I absolutely love the winter landscape high up on the mountaintops. I greatly enjoy skiing as a sport, but I also feel such joy and reverence for the world when I am in an alpine landscape, winter or summer. Often I see fabulous vistas from the chairlift, but I don’t take very many photos because of the challenge of doing it without dropping my phone, gloves, or poles. Having frozen fingers also doesn’t help. I’m glad I could share that photo of the white snowy trees with you.

      Jude

      Delete
  5. It’s definitely worth it and I hope we can find a way to keep it going. That hope waxes and wanes regularly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anabel, yes, sometimes I feel so discouraged about the climate crisis looming over us, and the short time frame we have left to forestall the worst of it. That is why I keep reminding myself about why it’s worth it to make those hard changes, and to work with others as well to help create a groundswell of change.

      Jude

      Delete
  6. I second your conclusions, Jude. We do live in an amazing world and it is TOTALLY worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna, of course we’ve really lucked out in terms of the beautiful part of the world where we’ve retired. Thanks for encouraging me a few years ago to 1) retire, and 2) retire to the Island.

      Jude

      Delete
  7. I can't imagine that a creature as complex as a human being is alive simply to exist for his or her own pleasures and agenda. We must have some additional, broader, purpose. Too bad many folks give up that search before they figure out all they can do for others while still making themselves happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob, I agree. I think many people let themselves off too easily much of the time, opting for comfort, familiarity, and self-gratification over personally engaging in the hard work of making a difference in the world. (I don’t exempt myself from this criticism. It’s so much easier to take the easy road — but ultimately much less satisfying).

      Yet, it’s discouraging to me that so many describe their aim in life as making money, and acquiring stuff or status. Others describe the pursuit of happiness as their primary aim, and although happiness is not a bad thing, when you dig into what they’re actually pursuing, it turns out to be (instant) self-gratification. And many others spend much of their time obsessing about their bodily appearance and modifying it via exercise, dieting, makeup, and fashion.

      Amongst retirees, many feel that they have contributed throughout their career and work, and now it’s time for a well-deserved rest. There certainly is a grain of truth to that, but I believe that we retire from a job, not from life. Retirees have an amazing opportunity to contribute because we have both a lifetime of knowledge to draw on, and the gift of time due to to no longer having to work for pay.

      I like to have fun too, but if having fun was my sole purpose, I don’t think it would be as fun.

      Jude

      Delete
  8. Very thought-provoking question on many levels, as you point out, Jude. I am reading a book right now by Deepak Chopra “Metahuman.” Parts of this book question the same points you are discussing. I don’t know whether you were reading it or have read it. Or whether this is a coincidence.

    I also think about how long our planet can continue and all that is worth preserving. A great concern when I think about our precious children, grandchildren and future generations. Your photos are exceptionally beautiful and also in my neighbourhood. I am very grateful and it is totally worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erica. I haven’t read that book. But I think many writers and philosophers throughout time have written on this and similar topics that relate to the fundamental human question: why are we here?

      To your second point, preserving this beautiful world for future generations is a moral obligation, one that I’m sad to say our generation and our parents’ generation has failed miserably at.

      Jude

      Delete