Friday, April 10, 2020

Reasons to Feel Grateful

The Trail Down Notch Hill

Today is Day 25 of our self-isolation. During the COVID-19 pandemic, like so many people around the world, Rob and I have been staying home, not seeing friends or family. Our trips away from home have been limited -- twice to buy groceries, once to get pet food, once to the liquor store, once to the vet, and twice to pick up takeout food. Three times people have dropped something off for us, and twice we've gone out to drop something off for others. We walk on the streets and trails near home, stop and chat with people while physically distancing, and otherwise stay home.

Lethargy

I was on a Zoom conference with some blogging buddies the other day, and when we went around the screen talking about our highs and lows of the week, a number of us said something quite similar. We felt lethargic, glum, blue, flat, anxious, and discouraged. We lacked energy and motivation to accomplish much of anything.

It is understandable that we feel anxious, scared, and unable to focus. Just about everything in our lives has suddenly changed. Even for those of us who haven't been personally touched by the disease (yet), we are affected by the grim death tolls around the world, and are afraid of dying or of loved ones dying.

Yet, even in these difficult times, we have so much to be grateful for.

Capable Leaders

 

I am so grateful to live here in Canada, where our health experts and politicians have done a very good job of managing the response to the COVID-19 crisis. Our federal, provincial, and municipal politicians have, for the most part, put partisan politics aside. They have worked together to address the pandemic by putting policies and support programs in place and moving resources to wherever they are most needed.
Dr. Bonnie Henry, screenshot from Global News Town Hall

In particular, I'm impressed with Dr. Bonnie Henry, our Provincial Health Officer here in BC. She and the Minister of Health, Adrian Dix, provide a daily briefing to British Columbians. They are clear, transparent, and consistent in their communications, and publish the health orders, ongoing statistics, and epidemic planning models on the BC Centre for Disease Control website for all to look at. They devote a significant part of each briefing to taking questions, and they answer the questions honestly and as thoroughly as they can, expressing genuine emotions.

Dr. Henry calls upon all of us to be kind, and to do our part. Although her orders in this emergency are the law and she has the authority to enforce them, she appeals instead to our human decency and our desire to do the right thing to protect our families and communities. And British Columbians are rising to the occasion and following her health orders. Because of it, we are starting to see our epi-curve flatten. Our cumulative number of deaths in BC thus far has been low.

Bonnie Henry is a leader we all can look to with gratitude. Phil Dwyer of Vancouver Island has written a ballad about her that you can listen to by clicking this link: The Ballad of Bonnie Henry. This newspaper article explains how the songwriter wrote the song and had it recorded.

A final point that I'll make about our situation is that our good leadership did not occur by accident. It happened before COVID-19. We voted for decent people who put their civic duty ahead of self-serving aims. As a country, we have invested in universal healthcare, and paid taxes to fund pandemic planning long before this pandemic became a reality. As a country, we have invested in equitable education for all. A populace that has good critical thinking skills is more likely to support and trust their scientists and other experts, and therefore to be well-placed to respond in a community-minded way when a crisis occurs. I am glad I live where I do.

A Glorious Spring

 

Wildflower by the Trail
I love springtime, as the trees begin to bud, the wild flowers start to bloom, and the birds and bumblebees return to our yard. The hummingbirds are in the blossoms, the eagles are wheeling overhead, and every evening the frogs in the nearby wetlands sing, making an amazing racket.

Crocuses in March
We have been especially lucky the last two weeks to have had lots of sunny days, and I have spent hours and hours out in the garden. I have dug up and planted a small vegetable plot. I have transplanted some shrubs, added more flowers to my spring garden, done lots of yard cleanup, turned over the compost multiple times, and spent a lot of time weeding (although there's still much more to do).
Magnolia Tree

The magnolia tree that I planted last year is blooming. The first of the rhododendron bushes burst into bloom today. I have really been enjoying gardening, and also my forest walks.

Staying Connected

One of the really hard parts of having to stay home is not being able to see people. I miss my kids and grand-kids a lot. Normally on Easter weekend, we would all be getting together and sharing a big dinner. I miss my friends, and all the people in the community that I usually see through volunteer work or in my book club, writers' group, art group, yoga class, and so on.

But at the same time, we have been reaching out to each other and staying connected in other ways. I have been making use of good old-fashioned telephone calls, especially to check in with my kids. I have zoom-conferenced with various groups, including my yoga class. I've messaged with my two older grandsons, and read stories to the grand-kids via FaceTime. I went for a physically distanced walk with my daughter. A screen is no substitute for being with people in person, but it has sure thrown into sharp relief what really matters in life -- the people you love, friends, and community. I'm grateful for the ways we are finding to stay connected. As for sheltering in place, as it turns out, Rob is a pretty good companion to spend my days with.

What are you feeling grateful for?

22 comments:

  1. You nailed a lot on the head here. It's nice to realize how good our partners are at a time like this. Most of my closer friends feel fortunate for where we live and nature outside our windows. Trails to walk. Spring will help. I've taken to varied & quirky art projects. Nice to touch base with you again.
    Pulp Paper & Pigment-My Fiber Art Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, it’s so nice to see your comment here. Yes, if I’m going to be stuck at home, I’m glad I’m spending my time here with Rob. I am so grateful to live in a semi-rural area and be surrounded by the great outdoors.

      Jude

      Delete
  2. In addition to all the things you have mentioned, I am grateful for the time to reflect, evaluate and consider changes that might be past due in my life. I realize that I don't miss the busyness of my schedule and will try to be more purposeful with how I fill my days in the future. I have had only one 'down day' throughout all this and it was weather induced, so I feel pretty good about what I am doing to stay focused and positive. I think we are stronger than we give ourselves credit for, need less than we think we need, and have the capacity to discern both who and what is integral to our support system.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzanne, this is a very wise remark. Yes, our enforced isolation has given us lots of time to reflect, and a chance to interrogate our life choices. I, too, have realized that my pre-COVID life had become far too busy so that every day was filled with requirements to rush here and there, leaving little time for quiet pursuits like gardening or writing. It is hard to strike a balance between being engaged in the community and a social life on the one hand, and living a purposeful, reflective life on the other.

      I love your point: “I think we are stronger than we give ourselves credit for, need less than we think we need, and have the capacity to discern both who and what is integral to our support system.” Yes! That really states it well.

      Jude

      Delete
  3. Good, reliable, and trust-worthy leadership is so important, especially in these times. You have a lot to be grateful for, Jude, especially the place you call home and all your family, friends, and connections! I keep thinking - imagine this pandemic would have happened before the internet existed. I remember those days of long-distance and collect calls.

    I’m used to not being around friends and family, so this particular COVID-19 effect doesn’t bother us. I guess our restricted freedom (like for everyone) and not being able to sightsee is what makes this lifestyle difficult and - to be honest - quite “useless”. I’m most grateful that everyone I know is healthy and doing OK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liesbet, I am so grateful for my partner, family, friends, and community. I know what it is like to feel disconnected from the community where one lives, as the place we lived before we moved here was like that. We had a very narrow social network in that place, so when I retired, we made a purposeful decision to move to a place where we were closer to friends and family, and where we would fit in, and we made an intentional effort to become engaged in the community and to get to know people here. I imagine that distance from community is a hard thing about your nomadic lifestyle and I can see how connecting via the Internet is such a lifeline. We are all getting a little taste of depending on the Internet for our primary connections now.

      I too am grateful that everyone in my circle of acquaintances is safe and healthy. I am grateful for the health care workers who are working so hard to save the lives of people who become seriously ill, although they are putting their own lives at risk as they do so. And I’m grateful for all the essential services workers who continue to do their jobs so that we can continue to have groceries, garbage delivery, water, electricity, and so on.

      Jude

      Delete
  4. In times like these, the importance of good leaders becomes all the more obvious. When everything is running smoothly even a bozo leader (need i name names?) can get by. When things get hairy, the true person is exposed for all to see.

    Canada has always had a reputation for modesty, honesty, and civil servants who actually care about the people. Of course, some horrible episodes with the First Nation people show that humans can still behave badly. But, overall, you are blessed to be in a country that seems to actually give a damn about everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob, I confess that when I wrote the words “self-serving,” I was thinking of that particular bozo. It is very distressing to watch what is happening across the border, and even more so as I have many American friends living here as well as there. As well the political and economic effects around the world, the consequences of poor leadership can be seen affect individual people directly at a time like this, as measured in a higher death toll.

      All this is not to say that our Canadian politics are perfect — far from it. We have some terrible historical legacies (e.g., genocidal cultural policies with First Nations and residential schooling) and many stupid decisions continue to be made in the present too (e.g., subsidizing the oil industry; failing to take significant action on climate change). Our current parties in power are not even ones I’ve necessarily voted for. However, I believe that most of our politicians, even the ones I don’t support, still have a commitment to civic duty and responsible leadership. And these values become visible in times of crisis, as you point out.

      Jude

      Delete
  5. I’m grateful for our NHS and its tireless and selfless workers. Like you, I am grateful to have a good partner to share these difficult times with (though that, of course, is also down to my own good taste and judgement 😉). I’m not grateful to be living in a state with possibly the second worst leader there could be in this situation. And whatever I have to be grateful for is outweighed by the guilt and anguish of not being able to do more for my 93 year old mother. I know she is in isolation for her own good, but … but … but…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for taste and good judgment!

      But, oh Anabel, it must be so hard to not be able to see your Mom. I lost my Mom one and a half years ago and miss her terribly. She was in poor health for many years, and if she was still with us, she’d be at great risk from the virus. I feel a lot of empathy for seniors who aren’t getting visitors, and for people who can’t be with their aged loved ones, especially this Easter weekend.

      Jude

      Delete
  6. Oh boy, Jude! I am grateful for so many things. Grateful for technology that keeps me connected to people even though I live alone. Grateful I went to (and came back from) Barbados when I did - before all THIS happened. Grateful that I am retired now and not trying to manage a milk testing lab through this crisis. Grateful for food in the cupboard, TP in the bathroom, a cozy, roomy place to self-isolate in. Grateful for friends and family that are safe and healthy, and checking in. Etc. Etc. So many bright spots in my day, despite the circumstances.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, I too feel grateful for every one of the things you mentioned. Similar to your trip to Barbados, we had a beautiful holiday in Maui just before the coronavirus struck (in North America). And I am so glad I am a retiree rather than still working as an educational administrator during these crazy times.

      Jude

      Delete
  7. There is a lot to be grateful for, that is true. I also understand that others have it way worse than I do. I'm especially grateful that I don't have to do this alone; my husband has been such a great companion and support during this time. I wish I could have the same gratitude you expressed for our "leaders" and the current state of our country. If I could figure out a way to immigrate to Canada (and Vancouver Island), I would.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janis, that’s so true about having a great partner and not having to do this alone. One of my adult kids lives alone, and I can’t imagine how hard it must be.

      Now wouldn’t that be fine to have you and Paul here on the Island!

      Jude

      Delete
  8. Hi Jude, Glad to hear you and your family are well. I wrote a list of 31 things I'm grateful for in March and that lists grows every day. Dr. Bonnie Henry used to manage the SARS crisis in Toronto and knowing you, Donna, Ann, and a few other friends live in BC, I've been following Dr. Henry's news updates, too. In my neighbourhood, we've been hand clapping or pot banging every evening at 7 PM to show our support and gratitude for the healthcare professionals and essential front line workers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natalie, that is a long list of things to be grateful for. Isn’t it funny that once you start looking for things that you are grateful for, more and more of them pop into your mind. Noticing those things that make our lives so great makes the bad and scary stuff recede into the background a bit.

      Our health care workers certainly deserve our admiration and and thanks. That is one reason I am staying the course and remaining isolated at home — for them. I don’t want to be a vector of transmission that will draw this epidemic out and make their lives harder.

      Jude

      Delete
  9. Hi, Jude - Richard and I have also been in self-isolation for 4-weeks to the day, staying connected to family and friends via phone and video conferencing and shopping only online. I didn't realize the toll this was taking on me until I decided to clean up my digital photos today. Suddenly, all that I was desperately missing came flooding in.
    Thank you for this very inspiring post. It helped me to refocus on all the we have to be grateful for. It truly is a long list!
    And thank you for the grocery drop off. That was incredibly kind of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, Donna, that is sad. I was thinking of writing a post about “Before and Now,” but I think it would be too depressing. Not to say that “Now” is so bad, but just that I miss so much about “Before.”

      It was so nice to see you the other day face to face — from a distance.

      Jude

      Delete
  10. Hi Jude, I appreciate the sharing of feelings during these unprecedented and challenging times. This week has been more of a roller coaster of feelings for me. It is one of our grandchildren’s second birthday tomorrow and we will only see him virtually online. Just as you mentioned with your family, Jude, in the past we had the privilege of spending a couple of days each week with the children and all of the holidays. I am very grateful always, although, I think my body is going through stages of grief. Also, like you mentioned, this could last a long time.

    You voiced our collective concerns really well. And you are right, we still have so much to be grateful for. I can see how Rob is definitely a good companion. Day 27 for us with zero family, friends, stores, in real life and we still love each other............so far. A great post, Jude! Take care and enjoy the rest of our Easter weekend. It will be a great one for our walks. We live near farm area and open spaces. Very thankful! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erica. At least the weather has been really fabulous this weekend. It makes it easier when we can get out for walks and hikes. Rob and I went for a beautiful hike around the point yesterday.

      You are so right about the stages of grief. I’m still not at acceptance yet. How hard to miss your grandson’s birthday. That is really really tough. Unless things loosen up pretty quickly, we’re also going to miss our grandson’s birthday that last week of April. He’ll be turning five.

      I’ve managed to see my daughter and grandsons twice — in a physically distanced way. We brought them some Easter treats today, and watched from the driveway while they opened their treats on the lawn. It was socially bizarre, but better than not seeing them at all.

      Jude

      Delete
  11. You said it all so well, Jude. I consider myself luckier than most. I feel safe and comfortable at home, my loved ones are all well, and I trust our leaders to do what’s best to keep us all safe ... whether we like it or not.

    There are things I miss, but I’ve chosen to recognize this as a time to focus my attention on other things that I might not have otherwise done. The end result is that I’m learning a lot, and learning something new always makes me happy 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne, what a sensible approach, using this time of staying home as an opportunity to learn new things. One of my daughters lives alone in a tiny apartment, and she has said that she is doing much the same as she self-isolates at home. She is making art, doing crafts, reading, researching, fixing up her place, and taking an online university course.

      Learning things always makes me happy too, and creating things (right now it’s gardening and cooking that are fulfilling my creative urge), and being in nature, and and being with other people (even if only online).

      Jude

      Delete