Sunday, May 24, 2020

Settling In; Moving On

Hiking on Vancouver Island, with Physical Distancing

 I'm pleased to report that the revisions to my novel have been going very well recently. This is officially draft number 3. I've expanded the ending, added scenes, and tweaked characters. I've also slashed out a lot of stodgy prose -- adverbs, nominal phrases, redundancies, and the like. It's leaner and punchier. I've managed to cut 5,000 words, which is good, because it's too long.

Unfortunately, when I'm successfully working on my novels, my blog writing doesn't fare as well. So today, I'm taking some time out to post an update.

Pandemic Panic

Like so many others, I was quite calm about staying home and sheltering in place at first. It was an adventure -- a chance to cook new things and use up supplies in the back of the cupboard. "Staying at home for a couple of weeks: how hard can this be?" I said to myself.

But then, I found myself staring at the screen in horror as the death tolls mounted in Italy and Spain. I stayed up into the wee hours poring over corona virus statistics from John Hopkins University, Worldometer, CBC, and the BC Centre for Disease Control. I spent 3 to 5 hours online every day reading news articles, watching videos and live broadcasts, and tracking the statistics. I became a fan of Dr. Bonnie Henry, the top public health officer for BC, and watched her daily update without fail.

Will the Rain Never End?
It gradually dawned on me that we were in this for the long haul -- years, not weeks. I missed seeing my kids, grandchildren, and friends. I went through some pretty bleak weeks, made worse by a bout of cold rainy weather.

The five stages of grief and loss -- denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance -- I've been going through them all. 

You'd think that staying at home with everything wiped off my calendar would give me ample time for my creative pursuits, writing and painting, which I never seem to have enough time for. But no. For the first six weeks, I couldn't work on my novels. I couldn't seem to focus. I was too anxious. I had to spend all my time reading about the corona virus. 

Perhaps the fact that I'm writing a three-novel apocalyptic trilogy had something to do with it. It's a little creepy when bizarre things I made up and wrote about in my fictional tale have suddenly started happening in real life.  

Settling In 

It's now Day 69 for us. Tomorrow we'll hit the 10 week mark. 

We're starting to settle in. This is our life. We're getting used to it. 

(I'm writing this knowing, with immense gratitude, that I and my family have been extremely fortunate. We're fortunate to be living in BC, where wise Dr. Bonnie Henry has led the provincial epidemic response informed by science, and where the residents of the province have been very socially responsible in following public health guidelines. I'm fortunate to have not lost anyone in my social circle to the virus.)

Settling in means I'm getting comfortable with my life with its new, more restrictive parameters. I'm happy to have time to write, even though it's because so many of the other things I was doing have been put on hold. 

One of my friends said to me, looking a bit guilty as she said it, "I kind of like just staying home."

Adapting

I'm moving on with my life (while adhering strictly to the public health guidelines). Yes, things are different now, but that doesn't mean my life is on hold. I'm adapting to the new circumstances.

One of the advantages of being 63 years old is that I've had lots of practice at this. No, not with pandemics, but with difficult, wrenching life changes. 

I've moved a lot. Every move has meant leaving behind friends, my home, my job, favourite restaurants, and favourite walking trails. 

I've had injuries that have impacted my mobility. There were times I thought I'd never ski again because of knee injuries. I've learned to ski differently. I once broke a bone in my foot that wouldn't heal. I was in a cast for four months. I wondered if I'd ever walk normally again. 

Keeping in Touch
I've lost beloved family members. Every time it was extremely painful. It felt as if my own life had ended. I grieved. I came to acceptance. Time kept going along, and once again I found joy. I've adapted to changes and I've had a wonderful life. 

Moving On

Living in the age of the novel corona virus means finding new ways to do things, and continue to live a satisfying, fulfilling life.

I've started texting with my grandsons on Messenger. They love playing with the photo options and other media features. 

We enjoyed a physically distanced Mother's Day picnic with my daughter's family.

Mother's Day Picnic
Before the physical distancing restrictions, I was very involved doing fundraising with my local chapter of Lions International. All of those initiatives have been suspended. 

However, our Lions club has been out with other community members cutting broom. Scotch broom is an invasive plant species that is a problem on Vancouver Island. 

We can stay apart but be together while we cut broom. 
Rob with Broom








Clematis in Bloom











I have spent a lot of time out working in my lovely garden. Although the weeds are endless and I'll never keep up with them, I've been enjoying my gardening time.

I have planted tomatoes, herbs and a few other things in containers on my deck.

The flowering shrubs bring joy. And I'm quite pleased with my little vegetable patch, tucked in amongst the decorative plantings. 

Veggie Garden
On the long weekend, Rob and I went on a beautiful hike around the point with my son and one of my daughters. We enjoyed time together while still observing public health restrictions.

My Son
My Daughter



















Another way in which we have adapted is that Rob and I are going for more walks together. To celebrate our recent anniversary, we picked up take-out sushi and ate it at a picnic table in the park. Then we went for a lovely walk around the harbour.

Not Too Old for Selfies
Settling in, adapting, moving on -- a good life.

22 comments:

  1. Your photos are lovely, Jude. Even of the endless rain!
    I think what you have written about the stages you have gone through are true for most if not all of us. I know they spoke to me as well.
    Hope to see you soon IRL, from a social distance,

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb! I’m embarrassed to admit that my photos are only un-edited iPhone snapshots. But the beauty of the landscape compensates for that.

      Best of luck with your big move. We’ll finally get to meet in person.

      Jude

      Delete
  2. Jude, I am glad you have settled into the new normal, even though it is far from what any of us expected in the beginning.It is a shame that Broom is invasive - it looks so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzanne, broom is pretty when it blooms. But it’s toxic to native plants and animals, and very aggressive. It’s also a serious fire hazard, something we’re concerned about in BC in recent years due to global warming.

      Jude

      Delete
  3. Happy Anniversary, Jude and Rob -
    Like you, I am grateful to be retired, in a beautiful area which has made settling in, adapting and moving on much easier. Also like you and Rob, Richard and I are remaining cautious, without putting our lives on hold. We continue to find creative ways to live our lives with reduced risk. Thank you for sharing yours. Now more than ever we can learn from, and support, each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna. For quite a while, I did put my life on hold. I was sitting at home waiting for it all to be over. It has been a relief to accept that restrictions are going to be with us for a long time and start moving forward with my life again (cautiously, following public health recommendations).

      Jude

      Delete
  4. You have captured so much of what I’m feeling. Lots of gratitude among the loss. Like you, I originally was under the delusion that this would be over in a matter of weeks/months. As we start to take cautious baby steps “out there” so that we feel a bit more normal, it gives me hope. I wish we had a Dr. Bonnie here. Unfortunately, the scientists are being shut out by the crazies. Anyway... enough of that. Happy anniversary to you and Rob! Your garden looks lovely and, you are right: life is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janis, it’s very interesting to see how so many of us are going through the same adjustment process, and the emotions that go along with it. We’ve read a lot about scientific progress in learning about the novel corona virus, and treatments, vaccines, and serology tests under development. But I sure hope the social scientists are also making use of this very interesting global data set for research on social change and psychological adaptation.

      Jude

      Delete
  5. This past weekend, Gilles and I broke our isolated bubble to allow in our 2 sons and son-in-law. It felt like the right thing to do, and wrong at the same time. Time will tell whether it was a mistake or not, but each of us felt a surge of joy that we haven’t felt in many, many weeks ... but as my son-in-law said, now we go back into seclusion again.

    While together we talked about the early days of this crisis - the panic and the uncertainty of managing the initial 2 weeks of quarantine. How naive we were!! Now we know that life has changed for an unspecified period of time.

    Like you said - we’ve all adapted. We make changes, we do what needs to be done (at least the responsible ones do ��), and life goes on.

    Don’t know where we’re going with this crisis, how long it will last, and what the ‘new’ world will look like afterwards ... but what I do know is that there will be those who will whine, complain, and embrace victim-hood, while others will be thoughtful and embrace gratitude for all the small blessings in life.

    Like you, I am in the latter category and plan to stay there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne, it must have been so wonderful to finally see you sons and son-in-law. Missing people we’re close to is truly the hardest part of this whole thing. Like you, we opened our house for the first time since restrictions began to someone last weekend. My son came over from Vancouver to stay with us for a few days. We were very cautious. No hugs, and he had a separate bathroom and had to sit at the far end of the table. The hand sanitizer sat on the table Along with the food. We all took separate cars when we went for our hike. Still, it was wonderful to see him. It felt *almost* normal.

      Jude

      Delete
  6. I’m glad to read that you’re doing well under the circumstances, Jude. You’re writing, gardening (love the veggie patch you talked about before it materialized!), and “socializing” with friends and family, taking social distancing into account. Plus, it looks like the weather finally shaped up as well. Like you say... life is still pretty good, as long as you can stay happy and busy around the house and neighborhood! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liesbet, I’m really happy to be writing again. It was pretty frustrating to “waste” the first six weeks of social isolation not writing.

      As for keeping busy, I never have a problem with that. I can always think of a zillion things to do. The problem is fitting them all in.

      Jude

      Delete
  7. Jude, Happy anniversary to you and Rob! Life is good indeed. I'm glad to hear you've adapted and moving on. Good to see you sharing time with your son, daughter and grandson while physical distancing. Back in March, when the city of Toronto announced service and event cancellations until end of June, I anticipated that we'd be in this lockdown for the long haul. I follow the public health guidelines without putting my life on hold. Thank you for sharing your updates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natalie, you have such a sensible approach. I should have realized right away that it wouldn’t just be a two-week thing. But I really wanted to believe that if we all stayed home for a few weeks, the virus wouldn’t have anyone left to infect and it would die out. Way too simplistic, I realize now. We’re all adding to our knowledge of infectious diseases and how they work, as a result of this experience.

      Jude

      Delete
  8. Happy anniversary! Glad you are safe and well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anabel! Usually, we go out for dinner to celebrate, but the restaurants are closed except for takeout. So we had a picnic and it was fun.

      Jude

      Delete
  9. Hi Jude, Great on your progress with your novel! And yes, possibly a little bizarre how fiction and real life meet.

    I am totally with you on the five stages of grief. I very much agree on how fortunate we are to live here. Huge smile on your “keeping in touch” photo.

    We also take advantage of walking and trails nearby. My one daughter and her family came over yesterday and we had a social distancing picnic in the park nearby. Your last line sums up life perfectly right now, “Settling in, adapting, moving on - a good life.” Well, said, Judith. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erica. I’ve been learning a whole new way to text with my grandsons. Instead of just typing words, we communicate back and forth using a mixture of words, emojis, stickers, photos, videos, and voice recordings. I had no idea that Messenger had all those functions, but they’ve been teaching me ;-) It’s all very interesting, doubly so as one of my research areas at the dawn of the digital age used to be looking at how language shifted in online contexts.

      Jude

      Delete
    2. Again, the irony of how the research for your book overlaps with our present. Fun on how you and your grandsons find new ways to communicate. We are definitely "moving on" and finding ways to make it a good life. xx

      Delete
    3. Erica, I guess that seeing as I’m writing a futuristic tale, I shouldn’t be so surprised that SOME things in real life are evolving in the direction that I imagined for my story. Do you use the children’s Messenger functions with your grandchildren? It’s quite fun.

      Jude

      Delete
  10. Happy Anniversary, Judith and Rob! In our COVID fog, Paul and I both forgot our anniversary until 2 weeks later. Your description of life in the time of COVID captures the mood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bea! I hope you and Paul celebrated your anniversary belatedly. It’s easy to forget dates now that all the days are running together, and I’m not looking at my calendar anymore because it’s mostly blank.

      Jude

      Delete