Monday, November 23, 2020

The Cost of Responsibility

Many years ago, early in my career, I had the opportunity to travel to Quebec City to give a presentation at a conference. I was terrifically excited. I'd never travelled to Quebec City, nor, for that matter, had I visited any parts of Canada east of Saskatchewan. 

The conference was in an area of rehabilitation in which I was developing some unique expertise. I applied to my employer for funding, and they agreed to pay for the the plane ticket, hotel room, registration, and my meals during the weekend of the conference. It was a very good career opportunity. The icing on the cake was that one of my best friends had also had a paper accepted at the same conference, and was planning to attend too. Fun!

I was a new mom at the time, and our baby was about eight months old. The dilemma I faced was how to attend the conference and also look after my daughter. My husband and I decided that we'd go to Quebec City as a family. That way, he could care for her while I was in the conference sessions. 

We also decided we'd both take some vacation time off and stay for a few extra days after the conference. My husband, of course, paid for his own plane ticket and expenses, and the baby flew for free. We rented a B&B for the extra days after the conference. 

The morning that we were to leave to fly to Quebec, my daughter woke up with a red rash on her face. She'd never had anything similar. However, she seemed happy and her behaviour was normal, and she did not have a fever. The spots seemed to be fading a bit, so we made our way to the airport for our flight. 

But I was consumed with anxiety. What if she had something contagious, like measles? Perhaps we'd be putting others on the flight at risk, crammed together in a row of seats for the hours it would take to fly from Vancouver to Quebec City. 

So, after being cleared for our flight when we went through inspection, I pointed out the rash and asked whether they could change our seating assignment so we weren't seated right next to anyone else.

Well, you've never seen airline officials move so fast. They whisked us out of the inspection area and put us into a holding room while they contacted their supervisor. The verdict was that we couldn't board the flight, or any flight, until we had medical clearance to fly. 

As we made our way back home, I felt like a fool. Why had I opened my big mouth? The airport personnel hadn't even noticed the rash until I'd pointed it out. The baby was clearly fine. She was gurgling happily in her car seat.  

It felt like a crisis. At that point in my career, it was inconceivable to not show up to deliver a presentation that I'd promised to give, that was already printed in the program, and that I'd spent many hours preparing. My employer had paid for the conference and flight. Would they have to forfeit the money? Would I have to pay them back? Would we forfeit the cost of my husband's flight and the deposit for the B&B? My husband had cancelled his clients' appointments for the week. We would "waste" precious vacation days. 

After some frantic phone calls, we were able to get in to see a physician that same day. The physician examined my daughter and declared that the rash was nothing serious, perhaps heat rash or a mild food sensitivity. She filled out a medical authorization form and the airline put us on a flight the next morning, by which time the rash had totally disappeared. 

With friend & daughter; Chateau Frontenac
 We arrived in time for me to attend the opening reception of the conference. The entire conference was excellent, and we had a wonderful time in Quebec City. We happened to be there at the time of lobster fest so we ate a great deal of yummy lobster. 

Strolling Around Quebec City
 For a long time, I thought the lessons that I had learned from this experience were:

  • Don't create problems for yourself by pointing out minor issues that the authorities otherwise wouldn't notice
  • Something that seems like a huge crisis in the moment often turns out to be a minor bump in the road
  • Always leave some extra time before and after a scheduled event when travelling, in case of unexpected delays.

But through our collective experiences during this worldwide epidemic that has been dragging on and on, I suddenly remembered this long-ago experience and realized that I learned something else, too. 

Because what if my daughter's rash had NOT been a temporary, minor occurrence? What if it had been been measles or chickenpox or some other very contagious disease, and by going on the flight we exposed someone else -- perhaps an expectant mother or an elderly person -- to an illness that could cause disability or death? My desire to attend a conference and to tour Quebec City would have seemed like trivial reasons to have put others at such grievous risk. 

There can be costs for making the responsible choice. 

But sometimes the costs of making an irresponsible choice can be ever so much higher. 

18 comments:

  1. The true sense of a person comes from the decisions they make when it's not convenient for them. I'm sure for a short period of time, it felt catastrophic, but you have the ease of mind knowing you did the right thing.

    Perhaps if others had the same sense of social responsibility that you do, we wouldn't be in the position we are right now.

    This was a great story, Jude, with a powerful message.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joanne. You are too kind. I am a worrier, and perhaps in this situation I was being a bit neurotic. But, on the other hand, what a terrible thing it would have been if our actions had caused an expectant mother to contract measles and therefore give birth to a baby with a disability. Because I worked with children with disabilities at the time, and having just gone through the experience of pregnancy and childbirth myself, I was hyper-aware of the risks of contagious diseases — perhaps more than the airport employees who had waved us through. That’s why I felt compelled to say something (although I hadn’t foreseen that they wouldn’t let us board the flight).

      Of course, most of the time, we don’t have the benefit of immediate personal experience or deep disciplinary knowledge to make decisions like this. That’s why I believe it is important to trust the experts who know what they’re talking about and follow their guidelines. And every one of us can remember to ask ourselves the questions: Will this action put me or someone who is dependent on me at risk? Will this action put someone else at risk?

      Jude

      Delete
  2. A timely post, Jude. And so well written. I hear and read so much whining about individual rights at the moment, but those same whiners seem to forget that with rights comes responsibilities. I think you made the right choices and can rest easy in your decision, even though it was so hard to make at the time. If doing what is right was simple, everyone would do it. This speaks to your character.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you. Deb. Your words are very kind.

      One of the things that frustrates me about the individual rights perspective is that it often prioritizes the desires of and benefits to the individual over the well-being of others. When I read news stories about exhausted health care workers putting themselves and their families at risk to show up at work every day to care for sick people with COVID, and pleading with people to follow public health guidelines, it breaks my heart.

      I believe that we should strive to be engaged citizens, using our rights and privileges to improve the social good. Easy to say — but hard to do.

      Jude

      Delete
  3. You did the responsible thing. I’m glad you got to your conference too, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The conference was excellent, Anabel. That conference helped set me on a path toward a career as an academic.

      Jude

      Delete
  4. A fascinating post, Jude. Initially, it seems like overkill since babies often get rashes. Yet, in retrospect, it is far safer to address a potential issue. A real credit to you, Jude, to do the right thing and bring it to their attention. A stressful quandary. I am glad all’s well that ends well. I appreciate you reinforcing and sharing the lessons from this experience. Especially now. Responsible choices versus irresponsible choices. I love all of the photos in this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erica. Yes, I wanted to illustrate this blog post with photos from the actual conference. That sent me on a frantic search for my old photo albums, most of which did not seem to be anywhere in the house. I brought in a box from the garage that had been there since our move, and it turned out it was filled with loose photos, still waiting to be put into albums. I finally found most of my albums, on a lower shelf in Rob’s man cave, behind the couch. Of course, I couldn’t just flip through album pages looking for the right time frame without stopping to look at the pictures and walk down memory lane. In the end, I only found these three pictures of the trip, although I’m sure there must be more somewhere.

      Jude

      Delete
    2. You remind me how I have a box of loose photos hanging around, too. I am almost afraid to look for this box since I will likely get lost in it for many hours. I look forward to connecting with you again, soon, Jude. You mention the man cave. Presently, I am sharing Chuck's man cave. Wish me luck.

      Delete
    3. Erica, another name for my box of loose photos is “big box of guilt.” When my children were young, I just couldn’t seem to find the time to keep up with putting all the photos in albums. Ideally, I wanted to label and date them all and put them in chronological order. But once I got behind, the task seemed overwhelming (the procrastination issue again). Every now and then I’d put the most recent photos into albums and keep up with it for a while, then get behind again. As a consequence, there are big gaps in the photo album record, along with a box of loose photos. Fortunately, I kept most of them in their dated envelopes, so maybe someday, I can do the task of recreating our family history in photos.

      Good luck in sharing the man cave. In a previous house, Rob and I shared an office, and it mostly worked out okay.

      Jude

      Delete
  5. Hi Jude, You did the responsible thing and it's best to check in with trained health care professionals like your doctor. I'm glad your daughter didn't have anything serious, you had an excellent conference and a good time in beautiful Quebec city. Now you can scan the photos and keep a digital copy :) Thank you for sharing your story and message of social responsibility.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natalie, possibly I overreacted. As it turned out, my fears were groundless. But some risks aren’t worth taking. Not only could something contagious have affected others in a serious way, also we could have ended up in a far away city with a sick baby.

      As I mentioned above in response to Erica, I have a poor record of keeping track of photos. Digitizing them all — ack! Not my idea of fun.

      Jude

      Delete
  6. What a story, Jude! I was holding my breath, thinking “oh no, I hope she made the conference!” Yet, I think you made the right choice. Otherwise, guilt would have haunted you! I know that feeling, the “better safe than sorry” feeling, whether it’s about yourself or others. In this case, it was only a small sacrifice of losing one day and a bunch of stress. I’m so glad you could mostly stick to plan and have that time in Quebec City.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liesbet, I was really kicking myself for having said something when they wouldn’t let us board the flight. And, if the risk of infectious diseases for pregnant women wasn’t so fresh in my mind, perhaps I would have never said anything. We humans have a strange tendency to always want to excuse ourselves (“oh, I’m sure I don’t have COVID” or “I won’t catch it” or “it’s just a little rash”), and to assume the problem is caused by someone else.

      By the way, congratulations on the publication of your memoir! I have already ordered a copy.

      Jude

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Jude! I think you’ll like the book as it’s a tad different than other memoirs. :-)

      Delete
    3. Liesbet, I’m looking forward to reading it.

      Delete
  7. Very brave of you to share this story.yes, your daughter could have given measles or something else to very many people — it’s a lucky thing her rash was not as serious ,contagious illness. I guess this points out how normally responsible people make exceptions.. and that is how Covid is making this way through our nation.. I wish you story made me feel better but it made me worry more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Madeline. Thanks so much for your comment. One consequence of this terrible pandemic is that it gives each one of us the chance to test our personal ethics, not once, but again and again. “Do I put on this mask to protect others around me, even though it’s uncomfortable and makes my glasses steam up?” “Should I get on this plane to go visit my lonely family members for Thanksgiving even though public health officials are recommending staying home?” “Must I follow the public health orders and temporarily close down my business and possibly face financial ruin?” Often when we think of the ethical and moral principles embedded in major religions, professional codes of practice, and so on, they seem quite abstract. But the pandemic has given each of us a very practical way to “live” those principles through our everyday choices. And yes, I agree with you, it is hard for all of us to make those difficult choices, and especially hard to see some others around us who don’t even seem to try.

      Jude

      Delete